Friday, May 14, 2010

Sincere's Celibacy Chronicles Vol. 4: It's Impolite to Stare

So I'm at least shin deep into this celibacy thing, and for the record I would like to state that I'm doing very well with it (just in case you were thinking my journey was over). At the very least it makes life surprisingly interesting. Since making the decision to shun sex and pretty much anything related to it, the temptation to mount the next man I see has subsided a bit. The thought-provoking images, and ideas however have more than multiplied. Not long ago said sexual thought-provoking images and ideas were normal. Normal in the sense that anyone, male or female, dog or cat, could possibly be sexually aroused or at least thinking about having sex in the face of these particular situations. Here are some normal examples of situations that can be sexually arousing to just about anyone: watching someone workout or jog, watching TV (let's face it, it's littered with sexually tense situations). Here is a not so normal example: catching a glimpse of a man scratching his balls. I know, it's sick! This all too familiar, repulsive, homer-like behavior is so gross and rude. It has to be in the top five things that all men do that women can't stand, and yet yesterday, I caught a glimpse of a man doing it in public and felt giddy and overly anxious. A rush of excitement ran through my body as if he were doing it exclusively for my viewing pleasure. Before I could even understand what was happening to me, that glimpse became an unashamed look, and in an instant a bold stare. The man of course was totally oblivious to the fact that I was watching him at all as he was carrying on a conversation with someone else and completely engrossed in the activity he had going on (clearly, as was I). It took all of the will power and manners I had not to walk over to him and politely say, excuse me, would you like some help with that?

3 comments:

  1. Now is a guy who would do that in public the type of guy you want to be staring at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you mean... you thought that was attractive? for a sec? a moment? haha.

    you should have said something. that awkwardness would have balanced his (potential) awkwardness at catching you stare.

    ReplyDelete