Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It's Not ALL Daddy's Fault

I have issues and it's not my daddy's fault. I know this may be surprising, seeing as how every issue that anybody, especially a woman, has ever had can almost always be directly attributed to the first man in her life, daddy. Don't get me wrong, he is no Heathcliff Huxtable, more like James Evans, but even that is a stretch. But he was there, present, in action. He's had his moments when he would get drunk and act like a plum fool, but he was there. He cuts the grass, he washes cars, he takes the garbage out (he has to be provoked, but he takes it out none the less), he does what he needs to do for our family. He also does what he needs to do for himself, and he's never apologized for it. I respect that. My parent's marriage is far from perfect, but I learned a long time ago that that's not my business. I have issues and it's my mother's fault. My mother and I don't understand each other. We never have. Too often it's just assumed that mothers and daughters just naturally have this wonderful, best girlfriends relationship; it's all hair and makeup, and nail shops. My mother and I are more like frenemies, not in the sense that I think of her as my enemy, although I'm not always sure she doesn't view me that way. In the sense that she makes life as difficult for me as possible, and she never seems genuinely happy for me when it's not. It's been a long time since I heard my mother say "I'm proud of you" and we never say "I love you."

Never.

I am the woman my mother wanted to become but was too afraid to be. She has a constant, nagging attitude with me that she doesn't share with my sister. She and my sister are just alike, but me, I'm the different one. I want more and I dare to actually get it. I feel like my mother used to be me. But then she got pregnant with me and all of that changed. She lost her freedom. She lost her dreams. Reality kicked dreams ass. She married my father, and the rest is his story. I get it, but why do I feel like I have to pay for it. I had a beautiful wedding to a paper perfect man. My mother couldn't have been happier. She bragged about my damaged ex-husband all over town. When I called to tell her about the "incident" she was upset, disappointed, but ever hopeful. I could hear it in her voice. I came back home. I needed her help. I needed her to be my girlfriend and empathize with me. I needed her to tell me I was doing the right thing. I needed to know she was proud of me for leaving. I needed her help. I needed. her. help.

It wasn't long before she subtly, then blatantly began suggesting that my husband and I try to work things out. I don't know why I continue to look to my mother for support. She's never given it to me, so I no longer ask, but I still look for it. I still need it. I have become hardened to asking for and accepting help, and it's my mother's fault. I am too proud, too ashamed, too embarrassed. I would rather proudly suffer in silence than ask for help. I have a problem with the principle of the matter. If you have to solicit help, it's not really help is it? When something is wrong, and everything is falling apart, and trust me, everything is falling apart, I handle it on my own. Not only that, I do it in such a way that nobody has any idea how desperate for help I truly am. I wear a veil of sheer confidence, grace, and total happiness, regardless of life's circumstances. I'm not saying I'm unhappy, but even happy people need help sometimes. I wasn't always this way, but I've been this way for so long that I can't remember when I wasn't. I justify it by telling myslef it's the ladylike thing to do. I tell myself that I don't have time to cry or breakdown. I am stronger than that. I got things to do. I think about my mother and wonder what happened to her? I think about myself and wonder if I am my mother's past realized. I think about my unborn daughters and wonder if their mother is compassionate enough to stop the cycle.

*3/06/09 UPDATE: My mother told me she loved me today for the first time!! I always knew it, but it was heavenly to hear.

4 comments:

  1. i've shed a lot of silent tears..... reach out to the only one who can truly help you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, you just have to phase our your mothers voice. My mother has a complex, she won't let go of me. She needs me and I can see in all her actions, the different ways she wants to manipulate me into needing her just as bad. I won't have it, and neither should you. Nobody knows whats best for you, not even your mother.

    Still, I know the feeling of having an absent mom. It's a lonely and desperate place to need someone like that. I can't give you any advice on how to patch that up, mine happened on accident and not in the best of situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate to so much in this poignant post. Happy to see the update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for empathizing and sharing you guys. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete