Saturday, January 30, 2010

Degrees of Separation

I had no idea that dating when you are separated could be so complicated. The more I try to get around the fact that I am getting a divorce, the harder it is to explain exactly what is going on in my life. It's no longer as simple as status: married, place of residence: NYC. Now I have to give the back-story of my life because none of these elements of my life are defined right now, and none of them are the same anymore. This always proves to be very tricky. I usually make something up on the spot that's colorful, and witty, and little less shocking. The fact that I look about five years younger than what I really am, makes it all the more agonizing.

The second I say I'm getting a divorce eyebrows rise, and they give me that skeptical eye. Inevitably, the questions how long were you married, and why are you getting divorced, follow. The answers to both of those questions are equally embarrassing. Then one of two things happens; the guy either pays for my drink, the pity martini is what I call it, or he finds a reason to walk away. On occasion he actually asks for my number and uses it, but rarely does it go beyond a first date. How serious can you be about someone who is still legally married? It bothers me that even after deciding to end my marriage, I am still defined by it. It bothers me that I will never be single again. It bothers me that I had the perfect wedding, and a painful, short-lived marriage. It bothers me that I am going to be someone's ex-wife, and at the tender age of twenty-six, I will have an ex-husband. My life is on a red light right now, and I am so desperately ready to go. I can't wait for the spring.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through. Hopefully someone will see that you ended your marriage before things got really messy (assuming here since you ended it) and respect you for that. Many people remain married for no good reason.

    ReplyDelete