Saturday, February 6, 2010

Goatee, Go Figure

Here's an interesting little tidbit, my ex-husband has grown a goatee. I realize that those of you reading this have no idea who my ex-husband is, or why this information would qualify as an "interesting tidbit," but trust, I will explain. My ex-husband is a real type-A, militant, always leaves the party early kind of guy. He wears loafers, he uses shoe horns, and takes great pleasure in cleaning off his Mac. These were all qualities I loved about him, by the way, this is not by any means a jab at his character. We were together for five years and the man shaved every single morning without fail. It was nothing that I pressured him to do, he was clean-shaven when I met him. When I heard about this radical decision to grow a goatee, I was shocked, and then instantly intrigued. What is the correlation between break-ups and hair? I've known plenty of women who resort to the same sort of behavior when a relationship suddenly goes sour; a la Rhianna after Chris Brown, Brittany Spears after K-Fed. I've just never entertained the idea of a man doing the same thing.
Does it have something to do with control? The freedom to make one's own decisions? The most that I've ever done when coping with a break-up is eat a pint of Haagen Dazs, and rip up a few old pictures. I've never taken it out on my hair. I can go to the gym and work off that pint of ice cream, but a bad haircut could haunt me for life. I must admit, I've seen a current picture of him, and he looks completely different. I hardly recognized him. Maybe that's what he's going for, or is this some sort of signaling of manhood. He looks older, but, well, I won't go there. I've always been kind of attracted to men with goatees. I used to think that they were so much more sophisticated, and suave than men without them. There is something very ooh, la, la about it, or maybe that's just a fantasy I created to keep myself interested, and disguise the fact that usually goateed men are slick talking, players without a conscience. They always seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Now I wonder if the reason those men grew goatees had anything to do with a divorce or a bad break-up. That would also explain why most men with goatees always seem to be a little moody, and quick tempered. Most of the one's I've dated had some serious committment issues, and they're always the men at the club buying out the bar. I'll stop short of a warning ladies, but you see where this is going.

3 comments:

  1. I've definitely gone for the post-breakup change of hairstyle. Nothing crazy (when it comes to my appearance I tend to be more classic than wild & crazy) but usually I always go in to the salon and at least get my hair trimmed or something. I think I do it because 1) my stylist is amazing and always makes me feel like a million bucks 2) After I break-up with a person I kind of want to sever ties. I want to stop being the person I was when I was with them. I want them to see me and see that I am in some way no longer the same. I have moved on...and my hair has too!
    When it comes to men with goatees--I have to agree. I had this period where I dated a few different guys with shaved heads & goatees. They were sexy but they were also players! (ie. they all seemed to have a secret life/wife/fiancee on the side that I would later discover). This is probably just a coincidence but now I tend to associate facial hair with "hiding something". I'm a big fan of clean shaven now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Skinny Dip, I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this way! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chopped all of my hair off 2 weeks after our wedding. I went from having hair that sat between the bra-line and waist, to hair that came only to my jaw line. I was tired of never being able to do anything with it, and tired with the fact that the only reason I'd grown it was for the wedding. One of my best friends was completely shocked & begged me not to do it, since she was the one cutting it, but I told her I was adamant that it needed to be done and she did a fabulous job with it.

    2 months later, I left my ex. Within the first week of being "alone" I went to my local hairdresser and said "okay honey... this looks a bit too sophisticated housewife. Can you make it more fun SATC maneater looking?" to which he grabbed the razor and started adding loads of texture to it. He also gave it an asymmetrical trim so one side sits longer than the other now. I loved it. I then went and dyed it black- the color my hair had always been before I met my ex, who insisted that I keep it dyed red during the duration of our relationship. I was finally starting to feel like me again, appearance-wise. I wear my makeup differently now too, and I carry myself in a different manner. I'm not sure why, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't want to be the person he tried to force me to become and I'm trying to rebel as much as possible to prove him wrong.

    as for the facial hair... I definitely have a thing for it. not goatee's so much but I'm a sucker for a 5 'o clock shadow and some light scruff. Most men with goatees come off as being kind of slimy and lecherous to me. lol.

    ReplyDelete