Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Love Squared Part Deux- Timing

I had one of the worst colds in the history of my life. I had a fever, a terrible cough, and snot to spare. I'd been in bed for about three days, shut off from the rest of the world. I didn't want to see or talk to anyone. It was a Friday or Saturday night, and a Meg Ryan movie was coming on, "You've Got Mail." I was doped up on Nyquil, and planning to watch it and peacefully go to sleep. About an hour into the movie, I hear my mom calling me.
Why is she doing that
she knows I'm sick,
what good could I possibly be to anyone right now?
Leave me alone.

As my thoughts of complaining continue, she pops her head into my room. "The phone is for you." I was about seventeen at the time, and I really didn't use profanity, but if I did, a good, frustrated, DAMN IT! would have definitely been in order. "Who is it?" I asked. My mom shrugged her shoulders, handed me the phone, and closed my bedroom door. I rolled my eyes, and screeched "Hello" into the receiver. "Hey you" I heard on the other end.
Oh no,
why is he calling me right now?
I sound like I've been asleep for a thousand years.
Immediately I tried to clear my throat, which hurt like hell, but it was no use, my nose was too stuffy. At best I sounded like one of the Rugrats, the one with the red hair whose voice sounded as if he had a perpetual cold every episode, and I looked like him too. This was one of my best friends calling, and usually I was always excited to talk to him. We could talk about anything, and we always had the best conversations, but this time, I had to get him off of the phone. "I'm sick" I told him. I explained my plans for the evening and waited for him to politely say "I'm sorry, I'll call back another time." "What are you watching?" was his reply. (Insert expletive here, which ever one you like).
"You've Got Mail" I mumbled, trying to sound terribly annoyed and bothered.
There was silence.
"I'm coming over," he said.
"What?!"
"NO!" I wailed.
"I'm very, very, sick."
"You need some company, it'll make you feel better" he said.
He was not taking no for an answer. The conversation ended, he was coming over, and I looked like shit warmed over. I told myself it didn't matter, we were good friends. I was not interested in him at all. Who cares? I sat down on my bed to continue watching the movie, which, I was in love with by the way. It was at the part where Meg Ryan's character, Kathleen Kelly, is also sick with a cold, and Tom Hank's character, something Fox, unexpectedly shows up at her door with a bouquet of Daisies. Immediately I began to tidy up, comb my hair,and make sure there were no nose crustys hanging around. I did the best I could, but when you have a bad cold, no matter what, you're going to look it.
He gets on my nerves, I thought, but I didn't even have the energy to get upset. By the time the movie went off, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I knew it was "my company." He opened my bedroom door. What I saw makes my heart flutter even right now, at this very moment. My good friend was wearing a huge smile, and carrying a big bouquet of Daisies. How did he know? I was baffled. I don't even remember how I reacted; I just remember a feeling. This was the first time a man had ever brought me flowers for no reason. It was also the first time that anyone managed to surprise me with anything. I didn't realize it then, but I believe I was beginning to fall in love with my good friend in that moment. I was just too teenagery to understand it. So I tucked all of my feelings way down deep inside for a very long time. Timing is everything.

1 comment:

  1. stay true.... if and when the tantalizing temptation of the past love subsides....is it real???

    ReplyDelete