Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The "No Baby Daddy" Oath

"If you don't have any children by the age of thirty, there's no point in having any at all." My mother made this comment yesterday while eavesdropping on a conversation I was having with one of my girlfriends who is childless and single. While I'm not single, I will soon be divorced, and I don't have any children either. We both took offense to this. I was appalled, yet I couldn't figure out why. I had to sleep on it, and think on it some more this afternoon. I think it's bothering me because I will not have children without a husband. I realize that this is a rather archaic way of thinking; the nuclear family does not really exist anymore. Some may challenge whether it ever really existed at all. Whatever the case, I still want to have a family in the more traditional sense. My sister is a single mother, so are three of my cousins, and I've seen first- hand how they struggle. It's like pulling teeth to find a babysitter. There is never enough time, or enough money, and it ages you well beyond your years. Not to mention the effect it has on the children who rarely get the time and attention they need and deserve from both parents.

I took a "no baby daddy" oath (see below) when I was eighteen, and I plan to continue to adhere to it, so far so good.

I ____________ hereby swear to always be responsible
and cautious where matters of a sexual nature are
concerned. I will refrain from having sexual
relationships with men who have baby mamas. I
promise to avoid one night stands at all cost,
and never go home with a man when I am inebriated,
or otherwise not liable for my actions.

So basically my decision to have children is dependent upon when, or if I remarry, and truthfully that is anybody's guess. I have a prospect, but as much as I believe that we were written in the stars, I also know that nothing is guaranteed. My mom's comment really hit home with me because I am ready to be a mother. I love children, and children love me, it's always been that way, but I'm ready in a different way now. I physically get a sensation whenever I see a baby, it's almost like something is tugging at my uterus (I don't mean to be so graphic), but its true. Herein lies the most frightening thing with this apalling comment, for me it has to be all or nothing. It's either family i.e. me: mother, wife, writer he: husband, father, thriving career, and children, or me: single, writer, traveler. There is no in between, all elements must be present, one will not exist without the other. Here come the "what if's," What if I never remarry? or worse What if I remarry and re-divorce? OR What if while I'm enjoying bachelorette-hood, and writing, I get pregnant? I honestly don't know how I've made it this long without getting knocked up. I love sex. It is most certainly not in my plans to stop having sex as my single, (might I add sexy), writer, traveler self. Given my current screw up, I refuse to marry again for the wrong reasons, or without being in love. When did it all get so complicated? The funny thing is I called myself avoiding all of this when I got married the first time. I guess the joke is on me (just in case you're wondering, I'm not laughing).

4 comments:

  1. my mother's always been the opposite- "Don't ever have kids till you're 30!!" she's always said to me. She was 32 when she had me, and she was one of the oldest in our family to have a child. The rest of them had kids in their early to mid 20s. And I whole heartedly agree. Coming up on 24, I know I'm not ready for kids, and i won't be until I'm around 30, if ever at all. I cringe at the thought of carrying something the size of a small melon for 9 months and then having to push it out of my vagina while enduring extreme pain. I sit in shock and awe of my friends who've already had kids- some of whom are now having their second or third, and most of them are unmarried. I just don't understand how they can do it.

    And like you, I refuse to have a child without a husband. My parents even stayed together till I was 19, just so that I would grow up with a constant father figure in my life, even though they hated each other. It's nice to think that maybe one day I might have that cliched family with the white picket fence, but right now, I can barely decide what I'm having for dinner every night, let alone figure out what the future holds for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of my generation of my family of cousins and such, I'm the oldest at 33 with no children.

    Like you, I made my own mental promise of no baby mamas (drama). I've always said that I wanted to be married to have children.

    As far as a good age to have kids, I don't know. My biggest fear is being at my child's high school graduation and one of their classmates asking "is that your grandfather?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your oath-- I definitely like to think that I have the same one, not written out, but I believe the same thing, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a good oath. It's not fun raising children by yourself. I am so happy to have my husband. If I had to raise 3 boys alone boy would I be mad at myself. Know what you want and stick to it. Don't allow your mothers comments to bother you. It's your life its not like what she says is final anyway. Having kids over 30 could be great. Don't give up on love or kids. Divorce happens, but it doesn't ruin happiness. Sometimes the best things happen to us when we are not expecting them. Being a mom is amazing and u sound like you would make a great mom one day. Then you can blog about it :)
    Be sure to check me out and let me know what you would do if you had no limits (my blog post) Looking forward to your response
    http://Inspirewithcharris.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete