Thursday, February 18, 2010

Old Chick In Da Club

I don't want to be the old chick in da club. I'm twenty-six, and I know that hardly qualifies me as old, but lately I've been thinking about exactly when I plan to put my "stanky-leg" stilettos in the closet for good. Things are definitely beginning to slow down. About four years ago I could party all night, go to work the next day, and then party again, now I need a nap. I can't hold my liquor the way I used to either. Two good martini's (I like 'em dirty), and I'm done. That number was doubled back in the day before I was even tipsy. I pride myself on knowing my music. The last time I was in da club however, I had to keep asking my girlfriend "What is this?" to which she always replied "Girl, you don't know this song?" (as if everyone in the world knows that song except me), and then it hits me. Am I the old chick in da club? Maybe I've just been out of the scene for too long. Monogamy will do that to a young woman. Just as a disclaimer, I have nothing against monogamy. I enjoy the stability of a good, solid relationship as much as the next woman. But I'm starting to feel like domestication has ruined me forever. My afternoons spent shopping at Williams Sonoma, and recording recipes has sucked the club-sexy right out of me. I still have the desire to go out, and for the most part I enjoy myself when I'm in da club. Yet I have to admit I have my moments when I'm partying, and really feeling myself, and then someone bumps me without so much as an excuse me, causing me to spill my $13.00 martini, and I think I'm getting too old for this sh*t.

There is a very fine line between ages twenty-five and twenty-six, but the line exists none the less. I was a much different woman a year ago. Certain things like being drunk in public felt right at twenty-five, or cursing out that guy who walked by and purposely slid past you close enough for his penis to rub against your ass. At twenty-six however, I feel like I've turned the corner. I would be a complete hypocrite to act as if I haven't been drunk in public recently (check the post "Shout Out to D.C."), but I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have at twenty-five.

PSA: Fellas I don't think any woman has ever enjoyed that little slick-ass, slide-by, so please excuse yourself, and keep your di@k to yourself.

While it may not be time to put my freakum dress way in the back of my closet, I now have a little more poise about myself. Consequently, the foolishness that can and will go down in da club is just not my scene anymore. There needs to be a club/lounge, beer garden, rooftop terrace, somewhere for sexy, sophisticated ladies and gents aged twenty-six and over to gather and party, or just hold a decent conversation without having to yell at the person right next to you. My girlfriends and I are spending an awful lot of our Friday nights at nice restaurants for lack of an exciting place to go that is age-appropriate for us. Club Entreprenuers take note, I can't be the only over twenty-five year old woman who feels this way. The party scene, as it stands, is one extreme to the next. It's either dry as hell and boring i.e. the place where you go to party before you go to the real party, or the music is blaringly loud, it's dark as hell, and the air is polluted with the stench of weed smoke. Once in a while I can get down with the extremes. I love jazz and a nice glass of wine, or a jumping party where I can dance and sweat until I wear the tap off my heels, but these can't be the only options. Now I understand why our parents had house parties. Maybe we should bring it back. Happy Friday!

Sincere Lee

*This post was inspired by my very good friend, he'll flip out if I mention his name or initials, but you know who you are. I hope you continue to find inspiration to do what you love.

5 comments:

  1. If you're ever in Raleigh, let me know. :) I'll take you for a night on the town- and I don't go to the crazy "hip" bars/clubs either. My favourite place is a service industry bar. The music gets a little loud at times but it tends to be a very mixed and varied crowd in there which is always more fun than your typical college kids who take over everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks boss.... P.S.
    We are not friends...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to come to Toronto! We actually have some pretty good clubs here that cater more to the "grown folks" crowd. I'm 29 & still like to go out whenever I can so I can vouch for it. I'm sure there is still some club-sexy in you too :)

    PS. When will guys ever learn that the creepy penis rub walk by is never sexy? Or grinding/humping your leg on the dancefloor?! SO, not ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so >>HERE<<

    Last month when everyone asked if 26 felt different from 25, I was like YES! You look at everything--esp the club--just a little bit differently. What used to feel club sexy now feels like "for what?" But that might be the monogamy talking

    Anyway, if you find a good place in the next few weeks, do tell. I'm visiting NYC for the first time in a few weeks and I have no idea what to do while I'm there...so ANY recs (clubs, lounges or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Kidsistah Nodding my head on the 25 to 26 difference.

    There is plenty to do in the city, I love it! but the night life very tricky. I am currently researching though. I'll let you know what I find.
    Oh and WELCOME TO NEW YORK CITY! I'm sure you'll have a good time.

    ReplyDelete