Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lavender Memories

Like most people getting a divorce some of my days are clouded with painful memories. I am starting to see the light however, and I'm beginning to realize that it wasn't all bad. My soon-to-be ex and I shared a million, little, lovely, experiences together that I could never have shared with anyone else but him. Some experiences are nothing if not poetic, this was certainly one of them.

The evening was beautiful and unassuming, it was a random Wednesday night at the movies.
Cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery, you wanted to eat them there, I decided we should sneak them into the theater.
You were so afraid of getting caught; you devoured yours right away, I saved mine for later.
But somewhere we both got lost in the movie, and time got away from us.
As soon as the lights came up that pretty little cupcake frosted with lavender colored icing was on my mind.
I clutched the white tiny box housing the confection of deliciousness until we were just outside of the theater.
There was a misty rain falling, the light from the movie theater marquee above our heads, a mass of people in my periphery, and the blare of the city traffic at my back.
I was oblivious to it all.
I ripped open the box to discover that my pretty little cupcake was smashed to one side, and all of the icing was smeared across the inside of the box top.
Without a second thought I began to use my fingers to get it all off, it tasted so sugary sweet, and I was so sorry that it was ruined.
I looked up at you, and saw a tear roll down your cheek. You looked as if you'd seen something that you'd never noticed before.
I blinked, "what's wrong" I asked you, as we began to cross the street together, the memory of sugar still lingering on my tongue. "Nothing" you replied smiling, tears still streaming down your beautiful face.
And you were right.

3 comments:

  1. Yo, dude cried over cupcake frosting? lavender cupcake frosting? what a punk-ahhhhah LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. anyways that was very beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Purple Pisces, Thank you for being intelligent enough to understand it. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete