Tuesday, February 23, 2010

To my husband

I apologize for hurting you. I accept my responsibility for the hurt that I caused you. I knew before we married that I was not in love with you. I should have ended it then. I took advantage of you because I knew you would do anything for me. I expected too much too soon, and no matter how hard you tried; no matter how hard you worked to give it to me it wasn't enough. It could never be enough because I didn't love you. I know now that when you truly love someone you don't feel the need to measure it in terms of money spent, time spent, which neighborhood we live in, what job he holds, what position he maintains at that job, who his friends are, where his family is from, his bad habits, the way he dresses, the food he eats, the house he grew up in. You did your best, but it was never enough. I covered it all up with designer dresses and designer bags. I sauteed it up for dinner every night in my top-of-the-line cookware, and plated it for you and I to eat. I poured a glass of it every evening at five pm and drank until my heart was content. Then I wrapped myself up in it, and slept on it peacefully and comfortably until I woke up. I lied about it. I complained about it. I cried about it. I fussed and cussed about it. I yelled about it. I was silent about it. I gave up on it. I walked out on it. It should never have gone this far. I am truly sorry about it. I am truly sorry. I am.

Your wife

1 comment:

  1. This was beautifully written.

    I hope your ex-husband gets a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete